Friday, March 24, 2006

What's that on my teeth?

I got my braces on Wednesday morning. The orthodontist's assistant put me in a chair and placed this huge contraption in my mouth. There was even a place for my tongue to fit into. They needed to get my teeth as dry as possible, so lips and tongue had to be far out of the way. She painted on all this gunk onto my teeth and then put a rubbery-looking mold on my teeth for 5 minutes. While I was hanging out looking gorgeous, she pulled out a Looney Toons bag with loads of "fun stuff" like a toothbrush and braces wax and a big magnet that says "what not to eat." When she took the mold off, I felt this hard gunk on my teeth. I thought it was the glue. I said, "What's that on my teeth?" She told me they were the braces. At that moment I felt a wave of horror run through me. This is what I'm going to be feeling under my lips for a year? How could they be the braces when I've barely seen the orthodontist? Dr. M put the wire through the brackets and I was all set. I was offered some Advil. When I said that I was feeling fine, they said that I should take it--that I would need it. A sign for the next few days...The funny thing is that I only got the top done--I get the bottom on in 3 weeks!

While this was all happening, there was a teenage boy in the other room getting his braces off. His teeth looked great!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, keep stock in Advil sweetie- they get reeeeal sore! =) congrats! Although I never noticed anything wrong with your teeth, but whatever makes you happy! =)

9:26 AM  
Blogger TinselTeeth said...

Why didn't anyone tell me this before I got braces?!

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home