Monday, February 18, 2008

I made it!

This post has been a long time coming! I'm not sure why I haven't written in so long. Everytime I decided to post something, I just couldn't find anything interesting to say. The "newness" of braces wore off, I suppose.

I think I also knew that it was all going to end shortly. That I wouldn't have an excuse anymore. I couldn't say, "I'll do that as soon as these darn braces come off!" And, yes, I think that frightened me. It meant that if I didn't do whatever I set out to do, it wouldn't be my crooked teeth or braces that would be holding me back. It would be ME. That frightens me. A lot!

Today marks the two-week mark without braces. Woo-hoo! Yes, it is a fabulous feeling. It's that feeling that you dream about--like going to your high school reunion and turning heads. I believe I've turned a few these last few weeks.

I'm also learning how to deal with some of my habits that I've acquired over the, oh, say, 15 years. Like, um, well, not smiling! I can smile now. I don't have to hide my teeth. I don't have to look down and talk to the floor. I don't have to close my mouth for a photo. I can release all that tension. But, man, it does take concerted effort to RELEASE. It's like gaining a new habit, one smile at a time.

I'll leave you with this photo, but I hope to come back to visit this blog for a few more posts. What is holding you back? Let go.


3 Comments:

Blogger Listy-loo said...

I am so happy for you! You look great. It isn't that you didn't look great before it is just that this is like the actualized you. Does that make any sense? Anyway- happy brushing, flossing and smiling!

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! So beautiful! Who knew you had that smile hiding all the time?-MXF

6:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm gonna show this to my niece; I hope this will inspire her. She currently has braces, as prescribed by her Chicago orthodontist, and she's shy about it too. Actually, I discovered that she had braces when she talked to me yesterday while covering her mouth. I'm gonna tell her that she will get the same beautiful smile as yours if she will follow the prescriptions of her orthodontists (Chicago-based).

1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home