Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Dr. Newman

Another orthodontist's appointment today--only to arrive to a new doctor...Dr. Newman. Not a replacement, but an addition to the cramped office that already has three assistants and one receptionist.

I was lying down waiting for poking, prodding and tightening, when Dr. Newman slid his chair up next to me and offered his hand. He's young and cute and I'm totally embarrassed having to "open wide" so that he can check out the damage. As we're talking about how my summer is going, I decide to ask him about the "shaving between the teeth" thing. I mean, really, it was supposed to have happened last month, but a word wasn't mentioned--and I just want to have straight teeth already! Dr. Newman explained to me that in the process of having braces my teeth may shift naturally and have ample space--and that maybe I don't need the shaving thing anymore. But he says, "Let me take a look." Pause. "Oh, yeah...Dr. M we're going to need to do IPR (or whatever he said). Come take a look."

Great. I had to open my big mouth. But, seriously--if I hadn't said anything, would it have been business as usual? Tightening the wires and off I go?

Before IPR can take place, I needed to get "spacers" put between my teeth. In the process of Dr. Newman putting in the small plastic spacers, I started to bleed since it was basically these little plastic things moving back and forth against my gums. Yeah, real attractive.

I have to go back next week to get the spacers out and the IPR done. The sad thing is that next week is my "vacation." I'm not going anywhere, but I'm just taking a much-needed break from work. And I have to go into the orthodontist's! It happens to be on the same day that I'm going to Bliss to get some waxing done. At least I get all the painful things out of the way in one shot!

1 Comments:

Blogger Listy-loo said...

Ugh!!!! I hope it isn't too bad! I think I would rather get shots for an hour straight than have someone file my teeth. You are really brave.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home